John maintains the preeminent Martindale Hubbell “AV rating” and guarantees the highest standards of legal representation. His clients appreciate that he takes a practical approach and can usually favorably resolve problems outside of Court. He practices in all Ohio State, Local and Federal Courts and fights hard for his clients with excellent results, making efficient use of time to ensure the best results for his clients at a reasonable fee.
John regularly appears in all Courts located in Cleveland, Rocky River, Lakewood, Berea, Avon Lake, Parma, Brookpark, North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls, and North Ridgeville on civil matters as well as traffic tickets and dui, dwi, ovi cases.
John has a broad base of experience in business matters and enjoys long-term working relationships with many small business owners. He is attuned to their particular needs and they appreciate that they can call at any time and receive guidance based upon many years of handling their types of problems.
He also practices Personal Injury law and has had numerous large recoveries, including several million dollar settlements.
John limits his domestic relations practice to negotiated divorces and post decree matters. He is also highly experienced in all areas of probate and estate planning.
- The State of Ohio – Acquired in 1978 Updated 09/11/2015 Currently Active
- Preeminent AV award rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Award Superb Rating from Avvo
- 15 Year Anniversary from Martindale-Hubbell
- Preeminent Award Judicial Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Associate – Burke, Vannucci, Gareau and Hildebrand, 1978 – 1985
- Assistant Law Director – Westlake, 1982 – 1984
- Partner – Hildebrand, Short, Shepherd and Williams, 1985 – 1995
- Managing Partner -Short, Shepherd and Stanton, 1995 – 2005
- Owner/Managing Partner – the Law Firm of Short and Shepherd, 2005 – Present
- Outside Counsel – Motion Picture Industry Pension and Health Plans 2006 – Present
Associations, Past and Present
- Ohio State Bar Association former member
- Federal District Court Admitted
- Federal Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit Admitted
- City of Westlake Assistant Law Director
- Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court Arbitration Panel Chairman
- Rocky River Civil Sevice Commission Chairman
- AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee
- Rocky River City Council Councilman
- IATSE position Midwest Counsel
- West Shore Bar Association position Attorney Member
- Duke University – Physics-Deans List
- Miami University of Ohio – Mathematics, Bachelor of Arts, 1974
- Cleveland State Marshall College of Law – Juris Doctorate 1978, Top 10% of class.
- AFL CIO Lawyers Conference – Employment/Labor subjects, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012